World Cities Day 2020
TEENS Uganda as leading CSO in implementation of SDG11# in Uganda, with support from the Ministry of Lands, Housing and Urban Development (MoLHUD), Mobility and cities and street enthusiasts will undertake a series of both physical and Online activities to consider how diverse urban communities can be better recognized, supported and their qualities maximized in new ways that move beyond token engagement or minimal resource support. This shall focus on how the value of communities can be strategically utilized through policy engagement with a central place both in decision-making and in implementation. Doing so will better address the current COVID-19 responses, and make a significant long term contribution to achieving Sustainable Development Goal 11.
- Information gathering through the online Monkey Survey tool. This is intended to understand stakeholder perceptions toward achieving SDG 11.
- Stakeholder mobilization and engagement – the proposal is to identify stakeholders that are willing and committed to be part of the change that is desired. For this particular cause, the aim is to engage the Speaker of Parliament and other experts to support commemoration of the World Habitat Day, World Cities Day and Urban October as a whole. The youth will also be mobilized to engage in different activities such as competitions on green cities.
- Partnerships – with a clear stakeholder analysis, the intention is to establish partnerships with different stakeholders to advance the objectives set forth. This will also clarify the roles of the different stakeholders during the event. For example, the local media practitioners will be engaged to write articles or do radio or television pieces on the themes or organize interviews or panels policy makers, government officials, academics, journalists, other professionals, and community representatives.
- Online engagements to discuss practical strategies for transforming the cities in to inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable livable areas for all citizens. This will be spiced up by online film screening and local creativity to demonstrate tangible improvements in advancing the desired green urban spaces.
- Design Information, Education and Communication materials with an intention to create wide scale awareness among actors.
Tag your posts for Urban October with #UrbanOctober, for World Habitat Day with #WorldHabitatDay, and for World Cities Day with #WorldCitiesDay. Tag us on social media – @teensugnda @UNHABITAT – hashtags #teensuganda #UrbanOctober #WorldHabitatDay